Tuesday, October 26, 2004

LBJ And AMC

Austin

I went to the Lyndon Johnson Presidential library yesterday. There are solid exhibits on every period of his life and lots about all the legislation he pushed through in the 60s. Nothing about his many flaws though, which are well remembered in these parts. The guy who runs the hostel told me Johnson was so worried about dying in a car crash after a puncture he used to compulsively change his tyres all the time. He also used to drink whisky then drive around Texas late at night, which seems a strange thing for a man who fears car accidents to do, but then I suppose he was a very strange man.

I could have gone to see Badly Drawn Boy again last night and I was sorely tempted, but I decided the competing attraction of American Music Club would be a more judicious use of my time. I recruited a Kiwi from the hostel for a few pre-show drinks on 6th Street and we got to the Parish Room venue in time for the support act, The Court & Spark. From San Francisco, they had a very nice line in tuneful alt.country, helped no end by the excellent acoustics in the venue ("nationally famous" according to the barman). AMC were great as well, Mark Eitzel's quietly angry singing a particular strong point and enough to send the surprisingly sparse crowd home happy. I'm sure John Peel would have approved.

1 Comments:

At 26 October 2004 at 21:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.

Humans are like houses - their flaws are means of support...

Buda

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home