Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Clash Of The Titans

Denver

Over the last few days the whole country has been transfixed by a battle that will have a huge impact on everyone who lives here. Everyone's been talking about the massive contest between two bitter rivals. Yes, the New York Yankees have been playing the Boston Red Sox for a place in baseball's World Series. The Yankees, who have won the title 26 times since Boston's last success in 1918, took a 3-0 lead in the best of 7 series only for Boston to claw a couple back ahead of last night's game six.

I went to a bar called the Lion's Lair to see Hamell On Trial but he didn't bother starting his set until after the game, although his selections (Joe Strummer, the Smiths' "Hatful Of Hollow") played on the jukebox while everyone in the place watched the tense closing stages. And to huge cheers Boston pulled it out again so tonight's game seven is the decider. It's almost as if Bush and Kerry are talking to themselves, or at least only to each other.

The gig was great. I'd not heard any of his stuff before, I only recognised his name from his column in Uncut. There were only about 50 or so Denver hipsters there but at least that meant I could prop up the bar and sink a few beers. His stories between the songs alone are worth going to see him for and his 90 minute set was fine value for the $7 cover charge. It was chilly when I left so I decided to try to run back to the hostel. Predictably I managed about two blocks before giving up although at least I can blame it on the thin air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home