Sunday, August 08, 2004

Hangover

Berlin

After a day looking round Checkpoint Charlie and other stuff in the area of the wall I stumbled - as if by magic - on the Berlin Beer Festival. It's not quite Munich, but there was a mile of stands dispensing all kinds of ales to rosy cheeked men with remarkable moustaches. It would have been rude not to, so I munched on bratwurst and tried a few beers. Most stunning of all was a bottle of a French drink that combined beer and whisky. Beer and whisky! In the same drink! I could barely believe my eyes, but having had some I don't think it's going to catch on. It was a bit too sickly sweet, like caramel.

Back at the hostel I stayed up with the usual assortment of Brits, Irish, Canadians and Australians until much later than I should have done, which means once again I'm feeling more than a bit delicate this morning. The festival's still going but I think they'll have to do without my presence today.

2 Comments:

At 9 August 2004 at 07:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beer and whisky sounds great... but if only it had IRN BRU in it too.. i guess you would never have come home, would you?
from JIMMY FM

 
At 9 August 2004 at 17:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon-boy here.
Berlin: A concrete paradise.
The modernists of Berlin are either really slow or are addicted to the mortar fumes. I was there back in 2000, and I don't think I have one photograph that doesn't have a crane in it (I remember one with 18 in it). But a city with a disgusting amount of history, I found it to be quite interesting, everywhere you're standing used to be some concentration camp or somebody's grave or bunker.

Hope things are well,
Jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home