Thursday, July 29, 2004

Police Camera Action

Zagreb

Chaos at the hostel in Ljubljana as I left this morning. I followed three Slovenian police in through the front door. A very camp and very French guy was sat in reception, wailing and wailing after he was apparently beaten up outside a nightclub. He seemed to have the beginnings of two black eyes so I don't think he was making it up, although he was certainly making the most of it. "Zees ees terrible" he shouted, "I just want to get my passport so I can go back to my countree." Then he moaned about not knowing where his friend was, only for said friend to appear through the front door, which prompted another outburst of wailing complete with floods of tears all round. All round that is, except for the grim-faced Dixonovski of Dock Green and his two chums, who said something stern about "going down to ze station" presumably to give the French guy another beating. You'll be proud of me - I managed to keep a straight face throughout.

Accidentally got into a smoking compartment on the train over here. Was stuck in there with two real Eastern European alpha males - one bald, one with moustache - who chain smoked all the way. The guy with facial hair looked like David Bellamy, and to be honest didn't look as if he was going to make it here without choking to death. Thankfully he just about managed to hold on.

Zagreb is a big city, a proper capital, with all the bustle and noise that that brings. Even the trams seem to be going much faster, to say nothing of the locals who seem to be in a perpetual hurry. Plenty of welcoming bars though, so I might just sample some of the local ale later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home