Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Beer

Munich

I've managed to kill a day here and it turned out rather well in the end. The sun came out, I had some bratwurst rolls in the park, and I started to feel up to tackling a couple of jars in one of the beer gardens. I went along to the Augustiner Keller, these places are like huge school canteens round the back of major breweries. You go up to the counter, grab a beer, go through a checkout and take a seat round any of the hundreds of tables. It was barely two thirds full and I reckon there was up to a thousand people there, many of them in hats and sporting facial hair that wouldn't have looked out of place on a 1970s Second Division footballer. Shout "Fritz" in any of those places and you'll suddenly have about 100 new best friends.

The beer itself is a treat. They serve it in one litre tankards, with the liquid frothing suitably over the top. It's fresh from the brewery so free of all the additives they put in lager back home, and once you get over the initial sweet taste it goes down a storm.

Hopefully the two I had will help me get some rest on the train. I'm off to lose my sleeper virginity and travel through the night to Ljubljana. I wonder if it's full of Australians too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home